2021 marks a decade of Duolingo and its famous feathered mascot, Duo.
In that time, Duo has become something of a poster child for language learning, guilt trips and passive aggression.
But that’s not all: our little green friend has also developed a reputation for coming out with some rather curious sentences. Whether it’s Spanish, French, Hungarian or Klingon, you’re never too far from an expression that leaves you either scratching your head, pondering your existence, or rolling on the floor with laughter.
Below, we showcase 100 of the very best.
1. The Loch Ness monster is drinking whiskey
2. Without a doubt, I want to eat ham
3. When I was young, I was not allowed to wear pants
4. I am less happy than before
5. Excuse me, I am an apple
6. Yes, I want to live, I want to die in the North
7. Your cat has a beautiful profile picture
8. It is easier to die than to love
9. Owen is eating parsnips in the rain
10. It’s getting worse and worse
11. The scream cuts the silence
12. Whose robot ate my cake?
13. I am crying and the onion is laughing
14. Does a toothbrush have feelings?
15. I want carrot curry
16. Lama wants cold and good juice
17. Are you happy? No.
18. I do not hear you since I have cinnamon rolls in my ears
19. There is somebody’s head in the fridge
20. After the dragon had eaten Owen, it went to Cardiff
21. The rhinoceros is drinking juice
22. Are there still Vikings in Sweden?
23. This guy does not play in the same league as you believe me
24. Why is the banana wet?
25. The baby wants to drink beer
26. I like the taste of alcohol very much
27. Everybody dies in the end
28. He will taste the blood
29. I do not need to read your terms of service to accept you
30. You have not understood anything
31. I am not a person
32. I am eating bread and crying on the floor
33. You must choose: cake or death!
34. I want to eat more potatoes
35. The lion is eating a boy
36. Everyone has to die
37. I want to be able to travel
38. My dog is unemployed and only has one eye
39. I need more alcohols
40. Do we eat ants?
41. The horse cooked for the cows
42. The wine has a special effect on the baby
43. I am the cheese
44. The nineties called and wanted its shirt back
45. Who is Friday’s victim?
46. What is tea? What is water? Who am I?
47. The bride is a woman and the groom is a hedgehog
48. There is a cow in the house!
49. The man eats ice cream with mustard
50. My horses collect teeth
51. I want to live in your shoes so I can be with you every step of the way
52. I eat that in the bathroom
53. I want to cook bulgogi with the pig at the farm
54. Tell the truth or I will throw your cell phone
55. I have 28 hairs
56. Are you intact?
57. A man is not food
58. Ana is eating a canary
59. Yes, the owl is smart and nice
60. I am ready to die
61. The friendship between the turtle and the elephant was very special
62. Wherever he lives, I will find him
63. You are a clown
64. When God invented beauty he was inspired by you
65. I want a boat to take me far from here
66. People all over the world take showers, and only you do not want to
67. The cat exists and at the same time does not exist
68. I want to talk to the manager
69. This blond man has stupid ideas
70. The tomato is attractive
71. I am sad even though I have wine
72. Good morning, Dragon
73. Things had not gone well that year
74. A good father never throws the baby
75. You are much more alone than you believe
76. I would like some new software for my brain
77. She would be better without you
78. He was naked
79. My turtle, Raphael, is a police officer
80. Carrie does not like to sleep in the afternoon what is her problem?
81. Owen is eating parsnips in Antarctica
82. He promised that someone else would pay for his wall
83. I sometimes drink alone
84. A cat does not play piano
85. That duck is very rich
86. My compliments to your mother
87. You always worry about everything
88. I yell in the morning
89. A flying saucer visited us today
90. She wants to swim in a sea of sauce
91. You eat like a pig
92. Dogs do not write newspapers
93. Yellow hair does not go with an orange face
94. Does the dog drink from the toilet?
95. My horse is not an artist but an architect
96. The fisherman brings a fish to my mother
97. The spider eats bread
98. I cry myself to sleep every night
99. Today as well I will gaze into the distance and cry
100. The cow does not eat children
Here’s to another decade of weirdness
Duolingo wouldn’t be half as much fun without these whacky sentences. Long may they continue!
Which one is your favourite? Is there a classic I’ve missed out?
Let me know in the comments!